From Michael Shuler <>
Subject Re: Cassandra Data Model and Surrogate Keys
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2014 04:49:56 GMT
On 02/24/2014 09:24 PM, wrote:
> Thanks Michael, I will take a look at LWT for the future but
> unfortunately we are using Cassandra 1.2 ( I should have stated that,
> sorry). Are there any recommendations for 1.2, or do you just have to
> deal with him the race condition and possible duplicate data.

I think you would need to try to perform a best effort read before write
in your application. I guess it depends on the amount of traffic for the
table. Even then, there is a small race window in that turnaround time.
A nasty alternative would be a distributed lock manager, or you could
upgrade to 2.0, if that's possible, which would be easier than messing
around with locking. Someone may correct me, if there are better
alternatives. I simple example attached.

View raw message