From Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ring describe returns only public ips
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:37:49 GMT
More generally, a thrift api or other mechanism for Astyanax to get the
INTERNAL_IP seems necessary to use ConnectionPoolType.TOKEN_AWARE +
NodeDiscoveryType.TOKEN_AWARE in a multi-dc setup.  Absent one I'm
confused how that combination is possible.

On 02/06/2014 03:17 PM, Ted Pearson wrote:
> We are using Cassandra 1.2.13 in a multi-datacenter setup. We are using Astyanax as the
client, and we’d like to enable its token aware connection pool type and ring describe node
discovery type. Unfortunately, I’ve found that both thrift’s describe_ring and `nodetool
ring` only report the public IPs of the cassandra nodes. This means that Astyanax tries to
reconnect to the public IPs of each node, which doesn’t work and just results in no hosts
being available for queries according to Astyanax.

> I know from `nodetool gossipinfo` (and the fact that the clusters work) that it's sharing
the LOCAL_IP via gossip, but have no idea how or if it’s possible to get describe_ring to
return local IPs, or if there is some alternative.