From john.sta...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Cassandra Data Model and Surrogate Keys
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:41:26 GMT
Thanks again Michael. Those are the conclusions that I came to as well. For us the window is
small for possible duplicate users so I think we will have to do the read before like you
suggested. We will also have to be able to handle the case where the duplicate users exist.

And thanks for the example cql. ‎

Thanks‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.
  Original Message
From: Michael Shuler
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 11:53 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Reply To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra Data Model and Surrogate Keys

On 02/24/2014 09:24 PM, john.stager@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Michael, I will take a look at LWT for the future but
> unfortunately we are using Cassandra 1.2 ( I should have stated that,
> sorry). Are there any recommendations for 1.2, or do you just have to
> deal with him the race condition and possible duplicate data.

I think you would need to try to perform a best effort read before write
in your application. I guess it depends on the amount of traffic for the
table. Even then, there is a small race window in that turnaround time.
A nasty alternative would be a distributed lock manager, or you could
upgrade to 2.0, if that's possible, which would be easier than messing
around with locking. Someone may correct me, if there are better
alternatives. I simple example attached.

Michael