From "Brust, Corwin [Hollander]" <Corwin.Br...@HollanderParts.com>
Subject RE: Adding a node to cluster keeping 100% data replicated on all nodes
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:34:11 GMT
I’m wondering if write consistency “ALL” on the KeySpace will help, here.   I too will
listen eagerly for the ordained answer.

From: _ _ [mailto:asso@abv.bg]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 5:02 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Adding a node to cluster keeping 100% data replicated on all nodes

> Hi,
>
> Our environment will consist of cluster with size not bigger than 2 to 4 nodes per cluster(all
> located in the same DC). We want to ensure that every node in the cluster will own 100%
of
> the data. A node adding(or removing) procedure will be automated so we want to ensure
we're
> making the right steps. Lets say we have node 'A' up and running and want to add another
node
> 'B' to make a cluster. Node A configuration will be:
> seed: "IP of A"
> listen_address: "IP of A"
> num_tokens: 256
> rpc_address: 0.0.0.0
> The keyspace uses SimpleStrategy with RF: 1.
>
> Adding node 'B' to cluster we are doing the following:
> 1. Stop cassandra on B.
> 2. Update cassandra.yaml - change seed to point to "IP of A"
> 3. Update cassandra-topology.properties - add node A ip to it and make it the default
one.
> 4. rm -rf /var/lib/cassandra/*
> 5. Start cassandra on B.
> 6. Wait untill nodetool status reports the node B is up.
> 7. Update RP of the keyspace to 2.
> 8. Run nodetool repair on B and wait it to finish.
>
> Can we update the RF factor on A before starting Cassandra on B in order to skip steps
7 and
> 8?
>

> Now when the data is sync on both nodes we want to make a node B a seed node.
> 9. Update seed property on A and B to include the the IP of B node.
> 10. Restart cassandra on both nodes.
>
> If adding more nodes to the cluster the steps will be the same except that seed property
will
> contain all existing nodes in the cluster.
>
> So are these steps everything we need to do?
> Is there anything more we need to do?
> Is there an easier way to do what we want or all the steps above are mandatory?

Good day,

That's something I'm looking for too. Unfortunately till now I haven't found the right way
to achieve it. Nodetool repair takes lots of time to execute.

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information in this electronic mail (and any associated attachments) is intended for the
named recipient(s) only and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you have
received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying
or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank
you.