From Jagan Ranganathan <ja...@zohocorp.com>
Subject Re: Queuing System
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2014 08:02:11 GMT
Thanks Joe. That's a nice pointer. Will explore the possibility. I am just concerned about
the Leader swap time window, but may be thats the tradeoff b/n data consistency Vs availability.

Regards,
Jagan

---- On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 23:08:00 +0530 Joe Stein &lt;cryptcom@gmail.com&gt; wrote
----

 Without them you have no durability.

 With them you have guarantees... More than any other system with messaging features.  It
is a durable CP commit log.  Works very well for data pipelines with AP systems like Cassandra
which is a different system solving different problems.  When a Kafka leader fails you right
might block and wait for 10ms while a new leader is elected but writes can be guaranteed.

 The consumers then read and process data and write to Cassandra. And then have your app read
from Cassandra for what what was processed.

 These are very typical type architectures at scale https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+papers+and+presentations

  Joe Stein
  Founder, Principal Consultant
  Big Data Open Source Security LLC