From Nate McCall <>
Subject Re: cassandra performance problems
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:29:38 GMT
If you are really set on using Cassandra as a cache, I would recommend
disabling durable writes for the keyspace(s)[0]. This will bypass the
commitlog (the flushing/rotation of which my be a good-sized portion of
your performance problems given the number of tables).

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM, J. Ryan Earl <> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:33 AM, Alexander Shutyaev <>wrote:
>> We've plugged it into our production environment as a cache in front of
>> postgres. Everything worked fine, we even stressed it by explicitly
>> propagating about 30G (10G/node) data from postgres to cassandra.
> If you just want a caching layer, why wouldn't you use Memcached or Redis
> instead?  Cassandra is designed to be a persist store and not so much
> designed as caching layer.  If you were replacing your use of Postgres
> completely, that would be appropriate.

Nate McCall
Austin, TX

Co-Founder & Sr. Technical Consultant