From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Stack trace from a node during a repair
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 18:05:12 GMT
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM, John Pyeatt <>wrote:

> Then my issue must be the 0.000001% because
> 1) I'm running the repair as root.

Huh? Repair doesn't care what user your shell is. It is a process built
into cassandra and has the permissions that cassandra does?

> 2) The directory exists and the permissions are appropriate. root:root 755

Why are you running Cassandra as root?

> 3) The three times it occurred during the repair it always complained
> about backups directories. But there are dozens other backups directories
> that were created during the repair that caused no exceptions.

Cassandra doesn't have a lot of chances to mess up while creating
directories. This appears to be one of them.

> The biggest issue with this is that is shuts down gossip.

That sounds like rather a serious issue, and hints towards a potential
common cause : too many open files?

To rule out other potential causes of issue :

- what o/s?
- what JVM?
- how have you installed cassandra?
- what version of cassandra?