From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: 2 nodes cassandra cluster raid10 or JBOD
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 03:37:28 GMT
If you have two nodes, and RF 2, you will only be able to use eventual consistency. If you
want to have stronger consistency and some redundancy 3 nodes is the minimum requirement.

In the current setup, with only 2 nodes, I would use RAID 10 as it requires less operator
intervention and there is a chance of data loss with RF 2. If a write (including the hints)
is only committed to one node and the disk on that node fails the write will be lost.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11/12/2013, at 9:33 pm, Veysel Taşçıoğlu <veysel.tascioglu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What about using JBOD and replication factor 2?
>
> Regards.
>
> On 11 Dec 2013 02:03, "cem" <cayiroglu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to setup 2 nodes Cassandra cluster. I know that Datastax recommends using JBOD
as a disk configuration and have replication for the redundancy. I was planning to use RAID
10 but using JBOD can save 50% disk space and increase the performance . But I am not sure
I should use JBOD with 2 nodes cluster since there is a higher chance to lose 50% of our cluster
compare to a larger cluster. I may prefer to have stronger nodes if I have limited number
of nodes.