From onlinespending <onlinespend...@gmail.com>
Subject efficient way to store 8-bit or 16-bit value?
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:42:02 GMT
What do people recommend I do to store a small binary value in a column? I’d rather not simply
use a 32-bit int for a single byte value. Can I have a one byte blob? Or should I store it
as a single character ASCII string? I imagine each is going to have the overhead of storing
the length (or null termination in the case of a string). That overhead may be worse than
simply using a 32-bit int.

Also is it possible to partition on a single character or substring of characters from a string
(or a portion of a blob)? Something like:

CREATE TABLE test (
	id text,
	value blob,
	PRIMARY KEY (string[0:1])