From Hannu Kröger <hkro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: help on backup muiltinode cluster
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 10:02:08 GMT
One typical reason is to protect against human error.

> On 7.12.2013, at 11.09, Jason Wee <peichieh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hmm... cassandra fundamental key features like fault tolerant, durable and replication.
Just out of curiousity, why would you want to do backup?

> /Jason
>

>> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Amalrik Maia <amalrik@s1mbi0se.com.br>
wrote:
>>> hey guys, I'm trying to take backups of a multi-node cassandra and save them
on S3.
>>> My idea is simply doing ssh to each server and use nodetool to create the snapshots
then push then to S3.

>> https://github.com/synack/tablesnap
>>
>>> So is this approach recommended? my concerns are about inconsistencies that this
approach can lead, since the snapshots are taken one by one and not in parallel.
>>> Should i worry about it or cassandra finds a way to deal with inconsistencies
when doing a restore?

>> The backup is as consistent as your cluster is at any given moment, which is "not
necessarily". Manual repair brings you closer to consistency, but only on data present when
the repair started.