From Anne Sullivan <anne.b.sulli...@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject Re: list all nodes as seeds (excluding self)
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:58:21 GMT
  <head>
  </head>
    My understanding is that a node won't auto-bootstrap if it thinks
    it's a seed node.  So when adding a new node to an existing cluster,
    I want to make sure it will auto-bootstrap, and I don't want to do 2
    edits to the config file (first start without node as seed, then add
    node as seed).<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB9JMRe0REeUEkoPHwTZHhh6B-k4JwyqrUKJmzVbeLDfoPaMTQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
                  list without any exclusion.<br>
                Constant list is the simplest solution. <br>
                You should write it once in cassandra.yaml, tar with
                everything you need (cassandra, jdk) and copy as many as
                number of your nodes on the list.<br>
              Really 1 thing you should generate is rpc address and
              listen address.<br>
            I use self extracting bash archives<br>
          cat &lt;&lt;EOF<br>
        EOF <br>
          Sullivan <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:acotter@gmail.com" target="_blank">acotter@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px">For
                  ease of maintenance and because we'll likely have many
                  deployments where the cluster size is very small (2 -
                  5 nodes), I'm wondering if I can set my seed_provider
                  list to contain all nodes except the local node's IP.
                   ie) For nodes A-C</span></div>
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px">A-&gt;
                  B, C</span></div>
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px">B-&gt;
                  A, C</span></div>
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px">C-&gt;
                  A, B</span></div>
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px"><br>
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px">I
                  think my question is more or less In line with this
                  comment, I'm wondering if satisfying ONLY 2) is safe:</span><br>
                  helvetica, clean, sans-serif"><span
                    style="line-height:16px"><a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5836?focusedCommentId=13727032"
style="color:rgb(75,75,75);font-family:RobotoRegular,arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px">
                  the same list of seeds", and also "To prevent
                  partitions in gossip communications, use the same list
                  of seed nodes in all nodes in a cluster".  I wouldn't
                  end up with gossip partitions in the example above, so
                  if that's the only reason for the recommendation of
                  keeping the list consistent across all nodes then it
                  should be ok.  Reading other comments regarding the
                  seed list / bootstrapping, I *think* this will be ok
                  but would appreciate confirmation/comments.</div>
                  adding a new node, I don't want to do 2 edits to the
                  config file (first start without node as seed, then
                  add node as seed).</div>
        -- <br>
        Daneel S. Yaitskov<br>