From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: efficient way to store 8-bit or 16-bit value?
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:01:34 GMT
> What do people recommend I do to store a small binary value in a column? I’d rather
not simply use a 32-bit int for a single byte value.
blob is a byte array
or you could use the varint, a variable length integer, but you probably want the blob.

cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12/12/2013, at 1:33 pm, Andrey Ilinykh <ailinykh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Column metadata is about 20 bytes. So, there is no big difference if you save 1 or 4
bytes.

> Thank you,
>   Andrey
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM, onlinespending <onlinespending@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do people recommend I do to store a small binary value in a column? I’d rather
not simply use a 32-bit int for a single byte value. Can I have a one byte blob? Or should
I store it as a single character ASCII string? I imagine each is going to have the overhead
of storing the length (or null termination in the case of a string). That overhead may be
worse than simply using a 32-bit int.

> Also is it possible to partition on a single character or substring of characters from
a string (or a portion of a blob)? Something like: