From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cleanup and old files
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 02:26:06 GMT
Check the SSTable is actually in use by cassandra, if it’s missing a component or otherwise
corrupt it will not be opened at run time and so not included in all the fun games the other
SSTables get to play.

If you have the last startup in the logs check for an “Opening… “ message or an ERROR
about the file.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 30/12/2013, at 1:28 pm, David McNelis <dmcnelis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently running a cluster with 1.2.8.  One of my larger column families on one
of my nodes has keyspace-tablename-ic-####-Data.db with a modify date in August.

> Since august we have added several nodes (with vnodes), with the same number of vnodes
as all the existing nodes.

> As a result, (we've since gone from 15 to 21 nodes), then ~32% of my data of the original
15 nodes should have been essentially balanced out to the 6 new nodes.  (1/15 + 1/16 + ....
1/21).

> When I run a cleanup, however, the old data files never get updated, and I can't believe
that they all should have remained the same.

> The only recently updated files in that data directory are secondary index sstable files.
 Am I doing something wrong here?  Am I thinking about this wrong?