Yes it does, the stack trace is in the first thread. I did not try to create CF (was trying to enable it in cassandra.yaml), I have an existing CF and wanted to use compression for inter-node communication. When I enable snappy compression (in yaml) I get the error and cassandra quits. I figured this might be a snappy issue and nothing to do with cassandra, will log a bug there.