My understanding of  CASSANDRA-4110 is that the file name (not the total path length) has to be <= 255 chars long.

On not windows platforms in 1.1.0+ you should be ok with KS + CF names that combined go up to about 230 chars. Leaving room for the extra few things Cassandra dds to the SStable file names.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton