Hi,
On 11/12/2013 05:29 AM, Aaron Morton wrote:
Are you doing large slices or do could you have a lot of tombstones on the rows ?
don't really know - how can I monitor that?
For tombstones, do you do a lot of deletes ?
Also in v2.0.2 cfstats has this

Average live cells per slice (last five minutes): 0.0
Average tombstones per slice (last five minutes): 0.0

For large slices you need to check your code. e.g. do you anything that reads lots of columns or very large columns or lets the user select how many columns to read?

The org.apache.cassandra.db.ArrayBackedSortedColumns in the trace back is used during reads (.e.g. org.apache.cassandra.db.filter.SliceQueryFilter)
thanks for explanation, will try to provide some figures (but unfortunately not from the 2.0.2).

You probably want the heap to be 4G to 8G in size, 10G will encounter longer pauses.
Also the size of the new heap may be too big depending on the number of cores. I would recommend trying 800M
I tried to decrease it first to 384M then to 128M with no change in the behaviour. I don't really care extra memory overhead of the cache - to be able to actual point to it with objects, but I don't really see the reason why it should create/delete those many objects so quickly.
Not sure what you changed to 384M.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that I tried to decrease row cache size to 384M and then to 128M and the GC times did not change at all (still ~30% of the time).

Shows the heap growing very quickly. This could be due to wide reads or a high write throughput.
Well, both prg01 and prg02 receive the same load which is about ~150-250 (during peak) read requests per seconds and 100-160 write requests per second. The only with heap growing rapidly and GC kicking in is on nodes with row cache enabled.

This sounds like on a row cache miss cassandra is reading the whole row, which happens to be a wide row. I would also guess some writes are going to the rows and they are getting invalidated out of the row cache.

The row cache is not great for rows the update frequently and/or wide rows.

How big are the rows ? use nodetool cfstats and nodetool cfhistograms.
I will get in touch with the developers and take the data from cf* commands in a few days (I am out of office for some days).

Thanks for the pointers, will get in touch.

Cheers
Jiri Horky