From "Mikhail Stepura" <mikhail.step...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: Disaster recovery question
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 00:13:43 GMT
Looks like someone has the same (1-4) questions:

-M

"graham sanderson"  wrote in message

We are currently looking to deploy on the 2.0 line of cassandra, but
obviously are watching for bugs (we are currently on 2.0.2) - we are aware
of a couple of interesting known bugs to be fixed in 2.0.3 and one in 2.1,
but none have been observed (in production use cases) or are likely to
affect our current proposed deployment.

I have a few general questions:

The first particular test we tried was to physically remove the SSD commit
drive for one of the nodes whilst under HEAVY write load (maybe a few
hundred MB/s of data to be replicated 3 times - 6 node single local data
center) and also while running read performance tests.. We currently have
both node (CQL3) and Astyanax (Thrift) clients.

Frankly everything was pretty good (no read/write failures or indeed
(observed) latency issues) except, and maybe people can comment on any of
these:

1) There were NO errors in the log on the node where we removed the commit
log SSD drive - this surprised us (of course our ops monitoring would detect
the downed disk too, but we hope to be able to look for ERROR level logging
in system.log to cause alerts also)
2) The node with no commit log disk just kept writing to memtables, but:
3) This was causing major CMS GC issues which eventually caused the node to
appear down (nodetool status) to all other nodes, and indeed it itself saw
all other nodes as down. That said dynamic snitch and latency detection in
clients seemed to prevent this being much of a problem other than it seems
potentially undesirable from a server side standpoint.
4) nodetool gossipinfo didn▓t report anything abnormal for any nodes when
run from any node.

Sadly because of an Astyanax issue (we were using the thrift code path that
does a (now unnecessary) describe cluster to check for schema disagreement
before schema changes) we weren▓t able to create a new CF with a node marked
down, and thus couldn▓t immediately add more data to see what would have
happened: EOM or failure (we have since fixed this to go thru CQL3 code path
but not yet re-run the tests because of other application level testing
going on)┘ that said maybe someone knows off the top of their head if there
is a config setting that would start failing writes (due to memtable size)
before GC became an issue, and we just have this misconfigured.

Secondly, our test was perhaps unrealistic in that when we brought the node
back up, we did so with the partial commit log on the replaced disk intact
(but the memory data lost), but we did get the following sorts of errors:

At level 1,
SSTableReader(path='/data/2/cassandra/searchapi_dsp_approved_feed_beta/20131113151746_20131113_140712_1384348032/searchapi_dsp_approved_feed_beta-20131113151746_20131113_140712_1384348032-jb-12-Data.db')

[DecoratedKey(3508309769529441563,
2d37363730383735353837333637383432323934), DecoratedKey(9158434231083901894,
343934353436393734343637393130393335)] overlaps
SSTableReader(path='/data/5/cassandra/searchapi_dsp_approved_feed_beta/20131113151746_20131113_140712_1384348032/searchapi_dsp_approved_feed_beta-20131113151746_20131113_140712_1384348032-jb-6-Data.db')

[DecoratedKey(7446234284568345539, 33393230303730373632303838373837373436),
DecoratedKey(9158426253052616687, 2d313430303837343831393637343030313136)].
This could be caused by a bug in Cassandra 1.1.0 .. 1.1.3 or due to the fact
that you have dropped sstables from another node into the data directory.
Sending back to L0.  If you didn't drop in sstables, and have not yet run
scrub, you should do so since you may also have rows out-of-order within an
sstable

5) I guess the question is what is the best way to bring up a failed node
a) delete all data first?
b) clear data but restore from previous sstable from backup to miminise
subsequent data transfer
c) other suggestions

6) Our experience is that taking nodes down that have problems, then
deleting data (subsets if we can see partial corruption) and re-adding is
much safer (but our cluster is VERY fast). That said can we re-sync data
before re-enabling gossip, or at least before serving read requests from
those nodes (not a huge issue but it would mitigate consistency issues with
partially recovered data in the case that multiple quorum read members were
recovering) - note we fallback from (LOCAL_)QUORUM to (LOCAL_ONE) on
UnavaibleException, so have less guarantee compared with both writing and
reading at LOCAL_QUORUM (note that if our LOCAL_QUORUM writes fail we will
just retry when the cluster is fixed - stale data is not ideal but OK for a
while)

That said given that the commit log on disk pre-dated any uncommitted lost
memtable data, it seems that we shouldn▓t have seen exceptions because this
is kind of like 5)b) in that it should have gotten us closer to the correct
state before the rest of the data was repaired rather than causing any
weirdness (unless it was a missed fsync problem), but maybe I▓m being naive.

Sorry for the long post, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham.