From Nigel LEACH <nigel.le...@uk.bnpparibas.com>
Subject RE: Snappy Load Error
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:22:03 GMT
Very many thanks for the swift response Jeremy, snappy 1.0.4 works perfectly.

For information, we have working environment of RHEL 6.4, and Java 1.7 U25, with snappy 1.0.5.

All the best, Nigel

-----Original Message-----
From: jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com [mailto:jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com]
Sent: 29 November 2013 10:25
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Snappy Load Error

With RHEL, there is a problem with snappy 1.0.5.  You'd need to use 1.0.4.1 which works fine
but you need to download it separately and put it in your lib directory.  You can find the
1.0.4.1 file from https://github.com/apache/cassandra/tree/cassandra-1.1.12/lib

Jeremy

On 29 Nov 2013, at 10:19, Nigel LEACH <nigel.leach@uk.bnpparibas.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm building a new cluster, and having problems starting Cassandra.
>
> RHEL 5.9
> Java 1.7 U40
> Cassandra 2.0.2
>
> Previous clusters have started fine using the same methods, although the envoronments
are a little different (new RHEL, older Java).

> I am installing from DataStax tarball, and after making, I think,
> trivial config changes for our environmnet, start things up with
> bin/cassandra. The system log then shows this error
>
> INFO [Thread-2] 2013-11-29 09:43:02,434 ThriftServer.java (line 135) Listening for thrift
clients...
> INFO [HANDSHAKE-/nn.nn.nn.nn] 2013-11-29 09:43:02,962
> OutboundTcpConnection.java (line 386) Handshaking version with /
> nn.nn.nn.nn ERROR [WRITE-/ nn.nn.nn.nn] 2013-11-29 09:43:03,015
> CassandraDaemon.java (line 187) Exception in thread Thread[WRITE-/
> nn.nn.nn.nn,5,main]
> org.xerial.snappy.SnappyError: [FAILED_TO_LOAD_NATIVE_LIBRARY] null
>        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyLoader.load(SnappyLoader.java:239)
>        at org.xerial.snappy.Snappy.<clinit>(Snappy.java:48)
>        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.<init>(SnappyOutputStream.java:79)
>        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.<init>(SnappyOutputStream.java:66)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.net.OutboundTcpConnection.connect(OutboundTcpConnection.java:359)
>        at
> org.apache.cassandra.net.OutboundTcpConnection.run(OutboundTcpConnecti
> on.java:150)
>
> Following this, there seems no communication between nodes (nodetool only shows the local
node on each server).

> Any help very much appreciated.
> Thanks, Nigel

> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is prohibited.