From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Struggling to understand CFS and its use.
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:02:46 GMT
On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Willie Slepecki <scphantm@gmail.com> wrote:

> The last issue i'm dealing with before starting to write code is random
> file storage.  The application will have the ability to upload whatever,
> images, pdf, etc, and i need to put them somewhere.  (for the record,
> Amazon S3 is not an option, long story)  So i'm looking at a hugely
> expensive raid array, or an insanely complex distributed file system.
>

> <cdfs> From what I can tell, it is a file system that does not like small
> files ...   [not a fs] I mean that in the sense, it wasn't designed to
> map a drive to and drop files in with explorer ... Third, it looks like
> it commercial, from that stax something company.  ... Am i wrong about
> any of this?

No.

If you don't have the requirement of a POSIX filesystem with locking etc.
(and if you do, you are probably Doing It Wrong..), you may want to use
MogileFS.

https://code.google.com/p/mogilefs/

- distributed file system designed to keep redundant copies of arbitrary
sized files, which are uploaded and accessed via HTTP
- uses MySQL as the meta-data store, so you keep it available in the same
way you (probably already know how to) keep MySQL available
- scales to more files than almost anyone has

=Rob