From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Managing vnodes cluster and configuring rpc_address with EC2MultiRegionSnitch
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:01:12 GMT
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <>wrote:

> - Can we add multiple nodes at once (The previous rule was no more than
> one server per range at the same time...)

Vnodes are just like a lot of nodes. So no.

> - Can we decommission multiple nodes at the same time (I used to do it
> when not on the same part of the ring - taking replicas into account).

This becomes much more difficult/impossible with 256 virtual nodes per
hardware node.

> - Is there a way to distribute smartly heavy operations such as repair or
> cleanup through nodes ? (Using a RF of 3, previously I just use to launch a
> repair or cleanup on one node out of 3 in token order. With this I was sure
> that at least 2 nodes out of 3 weren't performing a repair and were
> available to answer queries fast enough, is there a way to reproduce this
> behavior using vnodes ?)

No, but that's a design feature of vnodes, you repair fewer ranges per node
and the repair is spread among more nodes. May or may not be a win in
practice, as I don't use vnodes I don't know!

> If someone could point me to a "best practice in cassandra management with
> vnodes" article / blog / tuto, It would be very cool.

I'll let you know when I deploy vnodes and then write it, lol. :)

> How to configure rpc_address, using ec2MultiRegionSnitch, I mean should it
> be public ip or private ip ? (I have private IP as listen_address and
> public IP as broadcast_address. Seeds are public IPs)

I don't know the answer, but are you sure you want to use

View raw message