From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snappy Load Error
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:24:56 GMT
With RHEL, there is a problem with snappy 1.0.5.  You’d need to use 1.0.4.1 which works fine
but you need to download it separately and put it in your lib directory.  You can find the
1.0.4.1 file from https://github.com/apache/cassandra/tree/cassandra-1.1.12/lib

Jeremy

On 29 Nov 2013, at 10:19, Nigel LEACH <nigel.leach@uk.bnpparibas.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm building a new cluster, and having problems starting Cassandra.
>
> RHEL 5.9
> Java 1.7 U40
> Cassandra 2.0.2
>
> Previous clusters have started fine using the same methods, although the envoronments
are a little different (new RHEL, older Java).

> I am installing from DataStax tarball, and after making, I think, trivial config changes
for our environmnet, start things up with bin/cassandra. The system log then shows this error

> INFO [Thread-2] 2013-11-29 09:43:02,434 ThriftServer.java (line 135) Listening for thrift
clients...
> INFO [HANDSHAKE-/nn.nn.nn.nn] 2013-11-29 09:43:02,962 OutboundTcpConnection.java (line
386) Handshaking version with / nn.nn.nn.nn
> ERROR [WRITE-/ nn.nn.nn.nn] 2013-11-29 09:43:03,015 CassandraDaemon.java (line 187) Exception
in thread Thread[WRITE-/ nn.nn.nn.nn,5,main]
> org.xerial.snappy.SnappyError: [FAILED_TO_LOAD_NATIVE_LIBRARY] null
>        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyLoader.load(SnappyLoader.java:239)
>        at org.xerial.snappy.Snappy.<clinit>(Snappy.java:48)
>        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.<init>(SnappyOutputStream.java:79)
>        at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.<init>(SnappyOutputStream.java:66)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.net.OutboundTcpConnection.connect(OutboundTcpConnection.java:359)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.net.OutboundTcpConnection.run(OutboundTcpConnection.java:150)
>
> Following this, there seems no communication between nodes (nodetool only shows the local
node on each server).

> Any help very much appreciated.
> Thanks, Nigel

> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is prohibited.