From Bryce Godfrey <bryce.godf...@avanade.com>
Subject CQL and counters
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:48:31 GMT
I'm looking for some guidance on how to model some stat tracking over time, bucketed to some
type of interval (15 min, hour, etc).

As an example, let's say I would like to track network traffic throughput and bucket it to
15 minute intervals.  In our old model, using thrift I would create a column family set to
counter, and use a timestamp ticks for the column name for a "total" and "count" column.
And as data was sampled, we would increment count by one, and increment the total with the
sampled value for that time bucket.  The column name would give us the datetime for the values,
as well as provide me with a convenient row slice query to get a date range for any given
statistic.

Key                | 1215  | 1230 | 1245
NIC1:Total   | 100    | 56      |  872
NIC1:Count | 15      | 15      | 15

Then given the total/count I can show an average over time.

In CQL it seems like I can't do new counter columns at runtime unless they are defined in
the schema first or run an ALTER statement, which may not be the correct way to go.  So is
there a better way to model this type of data with the new CQL world?  Nor do I know how to
query that type of data, similar to the row slice by column name.

Thanks,
Bryce