From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Data loss when swapping out cluster
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:53:54 GMT

A-yup. Got burned this too some time ago myself. If you do accidentally try to bootstrap a
seed node, the solution is to run repair after adding the new node but before removing the
old one. However, during this time the node will advertise itself as owning a range, but when
queried, it'll return no data until the repair has completed :-(.

Honestly, with reference to the JIRA ticket, I just don't see a situation where the current
behaviour would really be useful. It's a nasty thing that you "just have to know" when upgrading
your cluster - there's no warning, no logging, no documentation; just something that you might
accidentally do and which will manifest itself as random data loss.

/Janne

On 26 Nov 2013, at 21:20, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Christopher J. Bottaro <cjbottaro@academicworks.com>
wrote:
> One thing that I didn't mention, and I think may be the culprit after doing a lot or
mailing list reading, is that when we brought the 4 new nodes into the cluster, they had themselves
listed in the seeds list.  I read yesterday that if a node has itself in the seeds list, then
it won't bootstrap properly.