From Josh Dzielak <j...@keen.io>
Subject Re: Schema disagreement under normal conditions, ALTER TABLE hangs
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 17:58:42 GMT
Thanks Rob. Let me add one thing in case someone else finds this thread -

Restarting the nodes did not in and of itself get the schema disagreement resolved. We had
to run the ALTER TABLE command individually on each of the disagreeing nodes once they came
back up.

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Robert Coli wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Josh Dzielak <josh@keen.io (mailto:josh@keen.io)>
wrote:
> > Recently we had a strange thing happen. Altering schema (gc_grace_seconds) for a
column family resulted in a schema disagreement. 3/4 of nodes got it, 1/4 didn't. There was
no partition at the time, nor was there multiple schema updates issued. Going to the nodes
with stale schema and trying to do the ALTER TABLE there resulted in hanging. We were eventually
able to get schema agreement by restarting nodes, but both the initial disagreement under
normal conditions and the hanging ALTER TABLE seem pretty weird. Any ideas here? Sound like
a bug?

> Yes, that sounds like a bug. This behavior is less common in 1.2.x than it was previously,
but still happens sometimes. It's interesting that restarting the affected node helped, in
previous versions of "hung schema" issue, it would survive restart.