From Cyril Scetbon <cyril.scet...@free.fr>
Subject Hints still exist for a removed node
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:08:53 GMT
Hi,

I saw on http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/modern-hinted-handoff (wrote on december 2012) that
hints targeting a removed node (our case) are automatically removed. However, a compaction
has been done on our cf and hints for the removed node are still stored. We're using version
1.2.2 (February 2013). Do you mean by automatically that they will be removed after a period
of time but not after a compaction ? I see a TTL of 10 days added to each row in the hints
data file.

Another question, is about "Finished hinted handoff of 0 rows to endpoint" info messages.
CASSANDRA-5068 patch included in our version is supposed to fix a bad behaviour which was
the cause of similar messages. We don't have hints stored for the endpoints concerned by these
messages, but they appear in our log files. I don't know if it's related but I have a compaction
of hints at the same time : http://pastebin.com/71nw2Uqh . Can Anyone explain us what's happening
if it's an expected behaviour.

thanks
--