From Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why truncate previous hints when upgrade from 1.1.9 to 1.2.6?
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:52:29 GMT
NEWS.txt has some details and suggested procedures

     - The hints schema was changed from 1.1 to 1.2. Cassandra automatically
       snapshots and then truncates the hints column family as part of
       starting up 1.2 for the first time.  Additionally, upgraded nodes
       will not store new hints destined for older (pre-1.2) nodes. It is
       therefore recommended that you perform a cluster upgrade when all
       nodes are up. Because hints will be lost, a cluster-wide repair (with
       -pr) is recommended after upgrade of all nodes.