From Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cass 2.0.0: Extensive memory allocation when row_cache enabled
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:29:48 GMT
Both caches involve several objects per entry (What do we want?  Packed
objects.  When do we want them? Now!).  The "size" is an estimate of the
off heap values only and not the total size nor number of entries.

An acceptable size will depend on your data and access patterns.  In one
case we had a cluster that at 512mb would go into a GC death spiral
despite plenty of free heap (presumably just due to the number of
objects) while empirically the cluster runs smoothly at 384mb.

Your caches appear on the larger size, I suggest trying smaller values
and only increase when it produces measurable sustained gains.