From Jacob Edelstein <>
Subject Adding a column to a table with compact storage
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:06:22 GMT
Hi all,
We made a decision to use compact storage for a couple of very large tables to get maximum
storage efficiency. We understood that this would limit us to a single non-primary key column.
We did not realize at the time that we would not be able to add this column using the cql3
alter command. This is well documented, but we just missed it. I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to add this column without using the cql3 alter command? We want to add
a boolean column to the table below. The new column will not be part of the primary key.

create table no_extra_column (
  a varchar,
  b timestamp,
  c varchar,
  PRIMARY KEY (a, b, c)
) WITH COMPACT STORAGE and compaction={'class':'LeveledCompactionStrategy'};

2. If it's simply not possible, we wish to create new tables that don't use compact storage
and copy the existing data over. What's the easiest way to do this?

View raw message