From "Hartzman, Leslie" <leslie.d.hartz...@medtronic.com>
Subject Composite keys and composite columns
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 23:51:19 GMT
Hi,

I'm looking for clarification on composite keys and composite columns. From what I've read
with regards to composite keys, you have a collection of columns where of 'n' columns, the
first n-1 form the composite primary key and the last column is the data for that composite
key. Do I have this right?

What I've just read about composite columns is that there are static and dynamic composite
column names, but dynamic should be avoided. If the column names can be created programmatically,
what does the schema definition look like for this, or is it omitted since they're programmatically
created? I'm assuming that these are the dynamic composite columns. So how are the static
composite columns defined in the schema?

Also, if a column name is used as the value as well (composite or non-composite columns),
how do you query that? If the value is empty and the column name IS the value, is the knowledge
of what you're querying in the business logic due to the construct of that particular column
family?

Thanks.

Les

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use
only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that
is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any
manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually
copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com