From Edward Capriolo <>
Subject Re: Is read performance improved by moving more volatile data to different CF?
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:03:29 GMT
I would say no. If you design around row cache and your data acceas
patterns change your assertions will be invalidates and your performance
may be worst over time.

I would use the kiss here. Keep it a smple usng one column family.
Experiement with size teired vs leveled compaction.

On Thursday, October 17, 2013, Jan Algermissen <>
> Hi,
> my rows consist of ~70 columns each, some containing small values, some
containing larger amounts of content (think "small documents").
> My data is occasionally updated and read several times per day as
complete paging through all rows.
> The updates usually affect only about 10% of the small value columns.
> Speed of the full paging is of most interest to users.
> Given the very different volatility of the per-row data, do you think my
read speed would dramatically improve by splitting the less frequently
changes and the very frequently changed columns into two CFs? So I can
enable the row cache for the seldom changing, larger sized portion of the
> Or would the effect likely by rather marginal?
> Jan

View raw message