From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Facebook Cassandra
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 15:48:42 GMT
As it relates to c*

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Projects/ladis2009/papers/Lakshman-ladis2009.PDF

We have built, implemented, and operated a storage sys-
tem providing scalability, high performance, and wide appli-
cability. We have empirically demonstrated that Cassandra
can support a very high update throughput while deliver-
ing low latency. Future works involves adding compression,
ability to support atomicity across keys and secondary index
support.

Why doesn't facebook use the cloud? Does that mean you should not use the
cloud?
Why does facebook use scribe and not flume?
Why does facebook use thrift and not avro or protobuf?

What I am trying to get at is technical decisions are very environment
specific.

>From other talks I have seen facebook breaks there hbase into "cells" of
100 nodes.
http://www.slideshare.net/brizzzdotcom/facebook-messages-hbase
See slide 23

No one else I know claims to do this. Again should you do this?