From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Any suggestions about running Cassandra on Windows servers for production use?
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 19:07:33 GMT
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Vassilis Bekiaris <> wrote:

> we are planning a Cassandra 1.2 installation at a client site; the client
> will run operations themselves and based on their IT team's experience they
> are more inclined towards running Cassandra nodes on Windows servers,
> however given proper arguments they would also consider using linux
> servers. On the other hand, our team has experience running Cassandra on
> Linux, so we have no idea what we might face on Windows.

If you benchmark the two against each other, I would be shocked if the
Windows version is not significantly slower.

The differences are often at quite a low level, like for example the mmap
example, or the fact that Cassandra uses fadvise on Linux. Various
optimizations only apply to the Linux version; even running Cassandra on
Solaris would not make use of some of them. There are also supplementary
tools (Priam, tablesnap) which may or may not work under Windows. It would
be great if someone enumerated the in-code differences.. I have noted it
for my extensive TODO list with the optimism of a new week... :)

On the other hand, if you don't mind taking the performance hit and being
among a relatively small group of operators in Production on Windows, it
should work fine?

View raw message