From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: what does nodetool compact command do for leveled compactions?
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:08:17 GMT
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM, rash aroskar <rashmi.aroskar@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a column family created with strategy of leveled compaction. If I
> execute nodetool compact command, will the columnfamily be compacted using
> size tiered compaction strategy?

No.

> If yes, after the major size tiered compaction finishes will it at any
> point trigger leveled compaction back on the column family?

and especially :

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-6092?focusedCommentId=13793012&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13793012

tl;dr : if you have more than a single SSTable, it will do something. There
is disagreement whether it "should" do something if you only have a single
SSTable. My view, for the record, is "yes."

=Rob