From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Recovering from mystical cassandra errors.
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:03:08 GMT
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Jacob Rhoden <> wrote:

> Im testing out Cassandra with a 2.0.1 install [and having this issue where
> nodes won't start after being stopped]

Someone else having what looks like this same issue (in C* 2.0.2 iirc) came
into #cassandra yesterday.

I encourage you to :

1) search the apache cassandra JIRA for an existing ticket on this problem
2) if one does not exist, file a ticket including the error log and as much
info to help reproduce the issue as possible

> Normally I just delete the files and restart the node. If you are in a
> production environment, how do you deal with this type of issue?

By not running X.Y.Z in production where Z<= 5.

But seriously, in general people nuke node state until the node starts, and
then replace/repair the node.

> (I suspect there may be some sort of bug with replaying commit logs in
> 2.0.1, probably associated with replaying a commit log after you have
> deleted a table, and recreated with a different definition.)

This problem exists in general when you DROP and reCREATE tables and

The workaround is to use TRUNCATE and then ALTER instead of DROP and CREATE.
which references

View raw message