From Baskar Duraikannu <>
Subject RE: Facebook Cassandra
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 17:31:44 GMT

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 11:48:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Facebook Cassandra

As it relates to c*

We have built, implemented, and operated a storage sys-tem providing scalability, high performance,
and wide appli-
cability.  We have empirically demonstrated that Cassandracan  support  a  very  high  update
 throughput  while  deliver-
ing low latency.  Future works involves adding compression,ability to support atomicity across
keys and secondary index

Why doesn't facebook use the cloud? Does that mean you should not use the cloud?
Why does facebook use scribe and not flume?
Why does facebook use thrift and not avro or protobuf?

What I am trying to get at is technical decisions are very environment specific.

>From other talks I have seen facebook breaks there hbase into "cells" of 100 nodes.

See slide 23

No one else I know claims to do this. Again should you do this?