From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Adding a data center with data already in place
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 07:19:25 GMT
> Today I need to bring that data center back in. It is not 2-3 days out dated. I have two
>
> 1) Treat this as a new data center and let the nodes sync from scratch, or
> 2) Bring the nodes back up with all the data in place and do a repair.
As long as the nodes were down for less than gc_grace_seconds i would bring the old ones back
with their data and run repair.

If possible avoid having the application read from them until it’s complete.

> There are 4 nodes in both data centers, with RF=2.
I’d recommend moving to RF 3 if you use QUORUM.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 26/10/2013, at 2:33 am, Oleg Dulin <oleg.dulin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Cassandra 1.1.11 and plan on upgrading soon, but in the meantime here is what
happened.

> I couldn't run repairs because of a slow WAN pipe, so i removed the second data center
from the cluster.

> Today I need to bring that data center back in. It is not 2-3 days out dated. I have
two options:

> 1) Treat this as a new data center and let the nodes sync from scratch, or
> 2) Bring the nodes back up with all the data in place and do a repair.
>
> We are talking about 30-40Gigs per node. There are 4 nodes in both data centers, with
RF=2.