From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Searching Cassandra
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:40:42 GMT
>  As I understand it, where clauses only apply to primary keys and secondary indices.
I’m a little old fashioned and say if there is a query you do as part of a hot code path
it should be supported by materialising a view at write time rather than using secondary indexes.
That will give you better performance.

Note that when using CQL 3 you don’t have to specify all of the primary key, just the partition
key and then parts of the cluster key.

> From what I've researched it appears two options are to use solr or elasticsearch.
If you want the equivalent of being able to put any term in the CQL WHERE clause then yes
those are two options.
Both are fine, Data Stax Enterprise includes solr and makes it a easier http://www.datastax.com/what-we-offer/products-services/datastax-enterprise

Or you can use the Hadoop integration if you want to process all of your data.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 29/10/2013, at 10:27 am, Ari King <ari.brandeis.king@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently started with Cassandra I'm curious about how data can be searched. As I
understand it, where clauses only apply to primary keys and secondary indices.

> From what I've researched it appears two options are to use solr or elasticsearch. I'd
appreciate feeback from those that have used either of the tools as to the challenges of integrating
with Cassandra. I'd also appreciate insight on what other tools/methods are available. Thanks.