From Cyril Scetbon <>
Subject IllegalStateException when bootstrapping new nodes
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:38:59 GMT

We added yesterday 4 nodes in one of our data-centers but met an exception on 2 of them :

java.lang.IllegalStateException: unable to find sufficient sources for streaming range (6358673204990085385,6363273598121398976]
	at org.apache.cassandra.dht.RangeStreamer.getRangeFetchMap(
	at org.apache.cassandra.dht.RangeStreamer.addRanges(
	at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.bootstrap(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.bootstrap(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.joinTokenRing(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(
	at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.init(
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(

We didn't find the reason why it didn't work but we are wondering if it's a BUG. We are using
Cassandra 1.2.2 and we resolved the issue with a rolling restart of other nodes in the same
DC and maybe with some luck... We don't know if it's important but we also added the first
2 new nodes added to the topology file before we successfully bootstrapped the last 2 nodes.

FYI, A few weeks ago we added 4 new nodes in another DC with the same version of Cassandra
without any issue.

Here is the output log with DEBUG level enabled

View raw message