From Piavlo <lolitus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: heap issues - looking for advices on gc tuning
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:09:30 GMT
On 10/30/2013 03:21 PM, srmore wrote:
> We ran into similar heap issues a while ago for 1.0.11, I am not sure
> whether you are at the luxury of upgrading to at-least 1.2.9, we were
> not. After a lot of various painful attempts and weeks of testing
> (just as in your case) the following settings worked (did not
> completely relieve the heap pressure but helped a lot). We still see
> some heap issues but at-least it is a bit stable. Unlike in your case
> we had very heavy reads and writes.
Well that's what I can have with the current 12 node ec2 m2.xlarge
instances cluster, if reads/writes increases significantly higher during
peak times , the node would be locked by 100% user + system cpu usage,
irrelevant of the GC.
If you are on ec2 also what cluster spec and read/write rates do you have?
> But its good to know that this happens for light load, I was thinking
> this was a symptom of heavy load.
>
> -XX:NewSize=1200M
wow 1200M is really huge size for NewSize , this will blow up the GC for
ParNew pause skyes high for me, I remember back then I increased it from
300M  to 400M i already spotted in crease in ParNew intervals.
are such high NewSize really recommended? I guess it partially also
depends on hardware specs. Do you record the NewSize GC paues intervals
with the 1200M setting?
> -XX:SurvivorRatio=4
to my knowledge this settings does not have any effect without
-XX:-XX-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy

> -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=2

i had this changed from 1 to 8 and with 8 it was worse, do you think 2
could make any better difference?

tnx for your help
Alex