From Artur Kronenberg <>
Subject Sorting keys for batch reads to minimize seeks
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:40:08 GMT

I am looking to somehow increase read performance on cassandra. We are
still playing with configurations but I was thinking if there would be
solutions in software that might help us speed up our read performance.

E.g. one idea, not sure how sane that is, was to sort read-batches by
row-keys before submitting them to cassandra. The idea is that row-keys
should be closer together on the physical disk and therefor this may
minimize the amount of random seeks we have to do when querying say 1000
entries from cassandra. Does that make any sense?

Is there anything else that we can do in software to improve
performance? Like specific batch sizes for reads? We are using the
astyanax library to access cassandra.

View raw message