From Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra Agent
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 03:30:42 GMT
On 10/10/2013 07:54 PM, Sean McCully wrote:
> Hello Cassandra Users,
>
> I've recently created a Cassandra Agent as part of Netflix's Cloud Prize
> competition, the submission which I've named Hector is largely based on
> Netflix's Priam. I would be very interested in getting feedback, from anyone
> willing to give Hector (https://github.com/seanmccully/hector) a try. I am
> very interested in seeing if this is something the Cassandra Community is
> interested in using with their Cassandra installs.

For one, there's a name conflict with the well known Hector Cassandra
client project:

http://hector-client.github.io/hector/build/html/index.html

The project

> If you've taken a look at it, and tried running it. Does it seem like a useful
> tool? Was the documentation easy enough to follow, was the install and
> configuration process straightforward? What can be done to improve upon it.

If I came to the github page, it wouldn't be immediately obvious what
the project is for.

> If there isn't a lot of interest in using it, or you think its utter crap I
> would probably still like to hear why.

So it provides a REST API to managing a Cassandra instance?

It looks interesting.

Have you looked at leveraging ccm's work [1]?  ccm is a Python tool
meant to manage Cassanadra instances for dev testing, but I would
imagine the could work well together.  It has a CCM Lib that one can import.

[1] https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm

Regards,
Blair