incubator-cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: What is the best way to install & upgrade Cassandra on Ubuntu ?
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 03:11:07 GMT
> Does DSC include other things like Opscenter by default ? 
Not sure, I've normally installed it with an existing cluster.

> Would it be possible to remove any of these installations but keeping the data intact
& easily switch to the another, I mean switching from DSC package to apache one or vice
versa ?
Yes. 
Same code, same data. 

A

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 30/09/2013, at 9:58 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Aaron! 
> 
> Does DSC include other things like Opscenter by default ? I installed DSC on linux, but
Opscenter wasn't installed there but when tried on Windows it was installed along with JRE
& python, using the windows installer. 
> 
> Would it be possible to remove any of these installations but keeping the data intact
& easily switch to the another, I mean switching from DSC package to apache one or vice
versa ?
> 
> 
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Aaron Morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>> I am not sure if I should use datastax's DSC or official Debian packages from Cassandra.
How do I choose between them for a production server ?
> They are technically the same. 
> The DSC update will come out a little after the Apache release, and I _think_ they release
for every Apache release.
> 
>>  1.  when I upgrade to a newer version, would that retain my previous configurations
so that I don't need to configure everything again ? 
> 
> Yes if you select that when doing the package install. 
> 
>> 2.  would that smoothly replace the previous installation by itself ?
> 
> 
> Yes
> 
>> 3.  what's the way (kindly, if you can tell the command) to upgrade ?
> 
> 
> http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/webhelp/index.html#upgrade/upgradeC_c.html#concept_ds_yqj_5xr_ck
> 
>> 4. when should I prefer datastax's dsc to that ? (I need to install for production
env.)
> 
> Above
> 
> Hope that helps. 
> 
> 
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> New Zealand
> @aaronmorton
> 
> Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
> Apache Cassandra Consulting
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
> 
> On 27/09/2013, at 11:01 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> I am not sure if I should use datastax's DSC or official Debian packages from Cassandra.
How do I choose between them for a production server ?
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>>  Could you please clarify that:
>> 1.  when I upgrade to a newer version, would that retain my previous configurations
so that I don't need to configure everything again ? 
>> 2.  would that smoothly replace the previous installation by itself ?
>> 3.  what's the way (kindly, if you can tell the command) to upgrade ?
>> 4. when should I prefer datastax's dsc to that ? (I need to install for production
env.)
>> 
>> 
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do you install Cassandra on Ubuntu & later how do you upgrade the installation
on the node when an update has arrived ? Do you simply download & replace the latest tar.gz,
untar it to replace the older cassandra files? How do you do it ? How does this upgrade process
differ for a major version upgrade, like say switching from 1.2 series to 2.0 series ?
>> 
>> Use the deb packages. To upgrade, install the new package. Only upgrade a single
major version. and be sure to consult NEWS.txt for any upgrade caveats.
>> 
>> Also be aware of this sub-optimal behavior of the debian packages :
>> 
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2356
>> 
>> =Rob
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 


Mime
View raw message