you could try this. -ml

-- put this in <file> and run using 'cqlsh -f <file>

DROP KEYSPACE carl_test;

CREATE KEYSPACE carl_test WITH replication = {
    'class': 'SimpleStrategy',
    'replication_factor' : 1

USE carl_test;

CREATE TABLE carl_table (
    app text,
    name text,
    ts int,
    data  text,
    PRIMARY KEY ((app, name), ts)

update carl_table set data = 'whatever' where app='foo' and name='bar' and ts=123;
update carl_table set data = 'whomever' where app='foo' and name='hello' and ts=123;

SELECT * FROM carl_table WHERE app='foo' and name in ('bar', 'hello') and ts=123;

-- returns:

-- app | name  | ts  | data
-- foo |   bar | 123 | whatever
-- foo | hello | 123 | whomever