On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <sylvain@datastax.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:
Java has Integer as opposed to int which is what I represent "golf scores" with so to speak in my example.  In this case, Integer can be null but of course maps to "empty" just fine.  What about querying for all golf scores that are "empty" then?

The DataStax java driver already "maps" a null Integer to a null CQL3 column, and so it *cannot* also map it to an empty value. And even though you cannot have null CQL3 columns in the primary key, mapping a null Integer to an empty value would be highly confusing/inconsistent (from the point of view of the java driver) because:
1) having a null Integer map differently depending on whether the receiving column is in the PK or not would be messy/surprising.
2) it's not really technically possible because internally the driver does not always have the information of whether the receiving column is in the PK or not
3) what about strings? Should we also map a null String to an empty value when the column is in the PK? Because that would mean mapping a null java String to an empty CQL3 string value and that just feel wrong. And if we don't do it, then it means we treat Integer and String differently with respect to null and that's too would be pretty confusing.

Nulls should definitely stay null (that's an old DB debate), but  if this is a generic case, we might consider adding an emptyValue() helper method. Would that be possible Sylvain?

--
Sylvain

Ie. This sounds like this solution would be perfect if we can get rid of the exception piece.

Thanks much!!!
Dean

From: Sylvain Lebresne <sylvain@datastax.com<mailto:sylvain@datastax.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:58 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: is this correct, thrift unportable to CQL3Š.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Vikas Goyal <vikas@easility.com<mailto:vikas@easility.com>> wrote:
Ok. Great. It works for String and Decimal/Float but not for integer data type..
i.e,, if I am passing "" to the composite key column which is either text or float, it works..

session.execute(boundStatement.bind(rowkey, "", ByteBuffer.wrap(value)));

But not working with bigint, int or varint..and getting following exception;

Exception:Invalid type for value 1 of CQL type varint, expecting class java.math.BigInteger but class java.lang.String provided

..I am exploring more though..

We're getting into details of the java driver at this point. For int, what you can do is:
  boundStatement.setString("id", rowkey);
  boundStatement.setBytesUnsafe("columnname", ByteBuffer.wrap(new byte[0]));
  boundStatement.setBytes("columnvalue", ByteBuffer.wrap(value));

In other words, the shorthand BoundStatement.bind() won't let you insert an empty value for types
that don't naturally have an empty value (like int; keep in mind that an empty value is not the same
than null). But you can circumvent that using setBytesUnsafe if you really want.

Long story short, my advice would be to avoid using empty values for type that don't naturally have
one (anything else than text and blob really). If you do, that's going to be painful (but possible) to
work with, at least with the java driver (but for good reasons, java just doesn't have a good to
represent an empty int value (again, you can have a null Integer but that's different)).

--
Sylvain

Thanks a ton,
Vikas Goyal