I believe CQL has to fetch and transport the entire row, so if it contains a collection you transmit the entire collection. C* is mostly about low latency queries and as the row gets larger keeping low latency becomes impossible.

Collections do not support a large number of columns, they were not designed to do that. IMHO If you are talking about 2K + columns collections are not for you use old-school c* wide rows.