From Romain HARDOUIN <>
Subject Re: Cassandra shuts down; was:Cassandra crashes
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:14:28 GMT
Have you tried to tweak settings like memtable_total_space_in_mb and
Also, the compaction manager seems to be pretty busy, take a look at
And with SSD hardware you should modifiy multithreaded_compaction,
compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec, concurrent_reads and concurrent_writes.
Of course 2GB of RAM is low but tweak these settings might help you.
Maybe some guru could confirm/infirm that.

De :    Jan Algermissen <>
A :,
Date :  04/09/2013 12:29
Objet : Re: Cassandra shuts down; was:Cassandra crashes

On 04.09.2013, at 11:11, Romain HARDOUIN <>

> Maybe you should include the end of Cassandra logs.

There is nothing that seems interesting in cassandra.log. Below you find

> What comes to my mind when I read your first post is OOM killer.
> But what you describe later is not the case.
> Just to be sure, have you checked /var/log/messages?

Nothing there, just occasional Firewall TCP rejections.

Somehow I think I am simply overloading the whole cluster (see the hinted
handoff messages in the log). Could that be due to the limited memory of
2GB my nodes have? IOW, not enough space to buffer up the writes before
dumping to disk?

Also, my overall write performance is actually pretty bad compared to what
I read about C*. Before I thought it was the client doing to much work or
the network. Turns out that's not the case.

I'd expect C* to sort of just suck in my rather small amount of data -
must be me, not using the right configuration. Oh well, I'll get there :-)
Thanks anyhow.

View raw message