From "Desimpel, Ignace" <Ignace.Desim...@nuance.com>
Subject Migration LCS from 1.2.X to 2.0.x exception
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2013 13:57:41 GMT
Tested on WINDOWS : On startup of the 2.0.0 version from 1.2.x files I get an error as listed
below.

This is due to the code in LeveledManifest:: mutateLevel. The method already has a comment
saying that it is scary ...
On windows, one cannot use the File::rename if the target file name already exists.
Also, even on Linux, I'm not sure if a rename would actually 'overwrite/implicit-delete' the
content of the target file.

Anyway, adding code (below) before the FileUtils.renameWithConfirm should work in both cases
(maybe even rename the fromFile to be able to recover...)
File oTo = new File(filename);
                if ( oTo.exists() ) oTo.delete();

java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to rename .....xxx\Function-ic-10-Statistics.db-tmp to
.....xxx\Function-ic-10-Statistics.db
                at org.apache.cassandra.io.util.FileUtils.renameWithConfirm(FileUtils.java:136)
~[main/:na]
                at org.apache.cassandra.io.util.FileUtils.renameWithConfirm(FileUtils.java:125)
~[main/:na]
                at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.LeveledManifest.mutateLevel(LeveledManifest.java:601)
~[main/:na]
                at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.LegacyLeveledManifest.migrateManifests(LegacyLeveledManifest.java:103)
~[main/:na]
                at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:247)
~[main/:na]
                at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:443)
~[main/:na]

Regards,

Ignace Desimpel