From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Mystery PIG issue with 1.2.10
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:00:07 GMT

Unfortunately no, as I have a dozen legacy columnfamilies… Since no clear answers appeared,
I'm going to assume that this is a regression and file a JIRA ticket on this.

/Janne

On 26 Sep 2013, at 08:00, Aaron Morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:

>> > (testc = LOAD 'cassandra://keyspace/testc' USING CassandraStorage();
>> > dump testc
>> foo,{(ivalue,
>> ),(svalue,bar),(value,A)})
>

> If the CQL 3 data ye wish to read, CqlStorage be the driver of your success.
>
> (btw there is a ticket out to update the example if you get excited https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5709)
>
> Cheers
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> New Zealand
> @aaronmorton
>
> Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
> Apache Cassandra Consulting
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 26/09/2013, at 3:57 AM, Chad Johnston <cjohnston@megatome.com> wrote:
>
>> As an FYI, creating the table without the "WITH COMPACT STORAGE" and using CqlStorage
works just fine in 1.2.10.

>> I know that CqlStorage and AbstractCassandraStorage got changed for 1.2.10 - maybe
there's a regression with the existing CassandraStorage?

>> Chad
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalkanen@ecyrd.com>
wrote:
>> Heya!
>>
>> I am seeing something rather strange in the way Cass 1.2 + Pig seem to handle integer
values.

>> Setup: Cassandra 1.2.10, OSX 10.8, JDK 1.7u40, Pig 0.11.1.  Single node for testing
this.

>> First a table:
>>
>> > CREATE TABLE testc (
>>   key text PRIMARY KEY,
>>   ivalue int,
>>   svalue text,
>>   value bigint
>> ) WITH COMPACT STORAGE;
>>
>> > insert into testc (key,ivalue,svalue,value) values ('foo',10,'bar',65);
>> > select * from testc;
>>
>>  key | ivalue | svalue | value
>> -----+--------+--------+-------
>>  foo |     10 |    bar |     65
>>
>> For my Pig setup, I then use libraries from different C* versions to actually talk
to my database (which stays on 1.2.10 all the time).

>> Cassandra 1.0.12 (using cassandra_storage.jar):
>>
>> > testc = LOAD 'cassandra://keyspace/testc' USING CassandraStorage();
>> > dump testc
>> (foo,(svalue,bar),(ivalue,10),(value,65),{})
>>
>> Cassandra 1.1.10:
>>
>> > testc = LOAD 'cassandra://keyspace/testc' USING CassandraStorage();
>> > dump testc
>> (foo,(svalue,bar),(ivalue,10),(value,65),{})
>>
>> Cassandra 1.2.10:
>>
>> > (testc = LOAD 'cassandra://keyspace/testc' USING CassandraStorage();
>> > dump testc
>> foo,{(ivalue,
>> ),(svalue,bar),(value,A)})
>>

>> To me it appears that ints and bigints are interpreted as ascii values in cass 1.2.10.
 Did something change for CassandraStorage, is there a regression, or am I doing something
wrong?  Quick perusal of the JIRA didn't reveal anything that I could directly pin on this.

>> Note that using compact storage does not seem to affect the issue, though it obviously
changes the resulting pig format.

>> In addition, trying to use Pygmalion
>>
>> > tf = foreach testc generate key, flatten(FromCassandraBag('ivalue,svalue,value',columns))
as (ivalue:int,svalue:chararray,lvalue:long);