From Skye Book <skye.b...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nodes not added to existing cluster
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:12:26 GMT
Thank you, both Michael and Robert for your suggestions.  I actually saw 5760, but we were
running on 2.0.0, which it seems like this was fixed in.

That said, I noticed that my Chef scripts were failing to set the broadcast_address correctly,
which I'm guessing is the cause of the problem, fixing that and trying a redeploy.  I am curious,
though, how any of this worked in the first place spread across three AZ's without that being
set?

-Skye

On Sep 25, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Skye Book <skye.book@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a three node cluster using the EC2 Multi-Region Snitch currently operating only
in US-EAST.  On having a node go down this morning, I started a new node with an identical
configuration, except for the seed list, the listen address and the rpc address.  The new
node comes up and creates its own cluster rather than joining the pre-existing ring.  I've
tried creating a node both before ad after using `nodetool remove` for the bad node, each
time with the same result.

> What version of Cassandra?
>
> This particular confusing behavior is fixed upstream, in a version you should not deploy
to production yet. Take some solace, however, that you may be the last Cassandra administrator
to die for a broken code path!

> Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look that might put me on the right track?
>
> It must be that your seed list is wrong in some way, or your node state is wrong. If
you're trying to bootstrap a node, note that you can't bootstrap a node when it is in its
own seed list.

> If you have installed Cassandra via debian package, there is a possibility that your
node has started before you explicitly started it. If so, it might have invalid node state.