From Jan Algermissen <jan.algermis...@nordsc.com>
Subject Re: Versioning in cassandra
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2013 17:17:55 GMT
Hi Dawood,

On 02.09.2013, at 16:36, dawood abdullah <muhammed.dawood@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a requirement of versioning to be done in Cassandra.
>
> Following is my column family definition
>
> create table file_details(id text primary key, fname text, version int, mimetype text);
>
> I have a secondary index created on fname column.
>
> Whenever I do an insert for the same 'fname', the version should be incremented. And
when I retrieve a row with fname it should return me the latest version row.

> Is there a better way to do in Cassandra? Please suggest what approach needs to be taken.

Can you explain more about your use case?

If the version need not be a small number, but could be a timestamp, you could make use of
C*'s ordering feature , have the database set the new version as a timestamp and retrieve
the latest one with a simple LIMIT 1 query. (I'll explain more when this is an option for
you).

Jan

P.S. Me being a REST/HTTP head, an alarm rings when I see 'version' next to 'mimetype' :-)
What exactly are you versioning here? Maybe we can even change the situation from a functional
POV?